Sunday, September 23, 2012

Swedish Meatlessballs

My rating for this recipe: ✭✭✩✩✩
Steve's rating for this recipe: ✭✩✩✩✩

Unfortunately they can't all be winners...but it's even more of a letdown when the meal that is less than delicious (in this case a LOT less) takes 2 hours to prepare.  With the exception of Thanksgiving or large family dinners, I haven't spent 2 hours preparing a meal since I started cooking!  To be fair to the dish, its original author was either a complete moron or was born without taste buds, because the sauce that was included with the meatball recipe was so disgusting, I had to throw it out.  I'd already been cooking for over and hour and should have been done, but I had to quickly google another recipe for a new sauce.  So this took way longer than it should have.  Another issue that's not the fault of the food is that Steve and I came to realize upon trying this one that we are not fans of nutmeg.  No no, that's putting it too mildly; we despise nutmeg.  Steve said he's going to throw away the remaining nutmeg in the cupboard so that he never has to taste it again.  I will of course keep it, since its flavor does not always stand out so much in other dishes as it did in this one.  Bleck!  Ok, so even though it wasn't a winner in our household, it was still a new recipe we tried so I'm still going to post the recipe.  Not just for the sake of blogging, either.  If there was nothing appealing about this one, we wouldn't have awarded it any stars at all; but we both liked the consistency of the meatballs, and the flavor seemed like it would've been decent if not for the overpowering nutmeg.  I think the texture would have been even better, but I had an issue while making them - the part in the recipe when it says the mixture should be a sticky mass was way off and I had to add quite a lot of bread crumbs and water to get it to the right texture.  Regardless, they were a pretty good texture anyway.  For someone who really enjoys the flavor of nutmeg, this would probably be a winner.  Maybe not so much for us, but the consistency of the meatballs won this dish a star from each of us.  I also happened to enjoy the flavor of the sauce I ended up making.  It wasn't brilliant or anything, but it was good.  So I gave an additional star for that.  Once we've recovered from this flop, I'll be trying a vegan Swedish Meatball recipe again in the future - it just may be a while down the road.  Here's the recipe.

What you need:

-1 cup TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein)
-½ cup breadcrumbs
-1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
-salt
-1 onion, minced
-1 tbs. nutmeg
-salt and pepper
-250 grams fine noodles
-¼ cup Bragg's, or light soy sauce
-2-3 tsp Marmite (I didn't have this, so I left it out)
-¼ tsp nutmeg
-¼ tsp allspice
-1 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp garlic powder
-2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
-2 tbsp HP sauce (I didn't have this, I used regular BBQ sauce)
-1 tbsp cornstarch
-2-4 tbsp sugar
-½ cup plain soy milk
-3 tbsp flour


What you do:

For the meatless balls: 
Soften the TVP flakes using hot water.  Add the soy sauce and a pinch of salt. Add teh minced onion, pepper (it doesn't say how much so I used a dash),  and mix in the bread crumbs.  Season with the nutmeg.  The mixture should be a firm sticky mass (it definitely was not).  If not, add a bit more bread crumbs or warm water, whichever is needed (a lot of each were needed).  Form medium sized balls from the mixture using a tablespoon (make them on the small-ish side).  Remove the balls and place them on a platter which is ovenproof and keep them warm in the oven while you make the sauce and noodles.


For the sauce: 
Combine water, Bragg's, Marmite, spices, sauce and cornstarch in a large pot and bring to bubbling. Whisk flour into soy milk and add to pot. Whisk until smooth and thick.

Heat noodles according to package directions, serve meatballs over noodles with sauce in a gravy boat.


Source for the meatless balls: vegalicious.org

Source for the sauce: VeganDad.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment