Tuesday, October 09, 2012

The BEST Veggie Chili in the WORLD (well...almost!)

My rating for this recipe: ✭✭✭✭✩
Steve's rating for this recipe: ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohhhhh yeah, this was a good one!  In fact, I would've given it a full 5 out of 5 myself, but I've actually tasted the best veggie chili in the world (Wild By Nature!), and I couldn't help but compare this to it.  This was however, phenomenal.  As Steve said, it's impressive when you taste vegetarian chili and it ACTUALLY tastes just like regular chili!  And I felt crazy using these portions, since it said the recipe serves 8, but I'm so glad I didn't cut everything in half like I'd considered - I can't wait to have leftovers!!  If you like chili, you will LOVE this recipe; I guarantee it.  Even to the meat-eaters out there!  In fact, this tastes more like actual chili than my favorite over at Wild By Nature...that one is just more palate-appealing in my personal opinion.  But this one, ohhhhhhh this is definitely second best, and closer to the old familiar taste of what I used to very much enjoy in my (yucky) meaty days.  Hooray for a delicious vegetarian chili - here's your ticket to a happy belly:

What you need:

-1 TBSP olive oil
-1/2 medium onion, chopped
-2 bay leaves (mine were old and yucky so I sub'd w 1 TBSP thyme)
-1 TSP ground cumin
-2 TBSP dried oregano
-1 TBSP salt
-2 celery stalks, chopped
-2 green bell peppers, chopped (I used red b/c I don't like green!)
-2 jalepeno peppers, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, chopped
-2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained (I used one)
-2 packages veggie beef crumbles (I only had one so I also added 1 cup TVP...this gave it an awesome texture!!!)
-3 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes, diced
-¼ cup chili powder (I only used 2 TBSP and it still has quite a nice kick!)
-1 TBSP ground black pepper
-1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
-1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
-1 (15 oz) can black beans
-1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn (i used 2 cups frozen corn, cooked before adding)

What you do:

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chile peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.  Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.

Source: www.allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment