Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Udon Noodles with Sesame Crusted Tofu

My rating for this recipe:  ✭✭✭✭✩
Steve's rating for this recipe:  ✭✭✭✩✩

As promised, I am posting a new recipe Steve & I tried tonight.  Unfortunately we didn't take any photos, since I was too preoccupied with my fear of the local weather conditions to remember to snap a shot of our meal, but I will tell you that if I had, you would've seen one empty plate alongside one not-so-empty plate.  I loved this dish, and Steve wasn't as crazy about it as I was.  He really liked the way the tofu came out and the flavor of the sauce, but as it turns out he's not a huge fan of wonderfully thick yummy noodles.  I happen to LOVE udon noodles, so this dish was definitely a winner for me.  It would've gotten a full 5 stars, but I wish the tofu had been crispier.  Could've been that I didn't fry it long enough, but the directions said it should be golden on all sides, so once it was I stopped!  Maybe next time I'll fry it for longer and it'll be a 5 star kind of plate.  If we make it again, I'll be sure to include a pic or 2.  Ok, so here's the recipe:

What you need:
- udon noodles (we used 2 packages)
- 1 pkg tofu, cubed (we used extra firm)
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- oil for frying
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small orange pepper, thinly sliced
- 1" piece of ginger, minced (we used ground, the equiv is ⅛ TBSP)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced

What you do:
1. Cook noodles according to the directions on the package.
2. Place tofu in a bowl and add sesame seeds. Toss until most of the seeds are stuck on the tofu (you don't need full coverage here). Add cornstarch and gently toss until tofu is coated. If you still have some seeds in the bottom of the bowl, dump the tofu out on a cookie sheet and roll the cubes in the excess seeds.
3. Fry tofu in some oil over medium heat until nicely golden. Turn regularly to brown all sides. You don't need a lot of oil here. Start with a relatively thin layer and add more as needed. Remove tofu from pan/wok and drain.
4. Add peppers, ginger and garlic to the pan (there should be just a bit of oil left) and stir fry for 3-4 mins, until softened and fragrant. Add noodles to the pan/wok and fry for a min.
5. Add vinegar, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce and mix well. Add tofu and mix well. Cook until sauce thickens/soaks into the noodles. Adjust flavours/wetness to your liking by adding more of any of the three ingredients.
6. Remove from heat. Garnish with green onions. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment