Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Moroccan Couscous

My rating for this recipe:  ✭✭✭✭✭
Steve's rating for this recipe:  ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, please, please try this recipe.  I know not many, if any (besides Steve!) read this blog, but to anyone out there who does - if you've been considering trying out one of my posts, this is the one.  I'll admit, this recipe is not exactly new - I've made it several times before, but I haven't blogged about it and this was the first time Steve tried it.  And it's just so incredibly delicious, I had to post it.  I've shared this recipe several times with friends, and now I'm adding it here.  Every time I make it, it gets better.  Mmmmm!  I made this for dinner last night, had leftovers tonight, and am even considering stealing the other container I'd allocated for Steve's lunch tomorrow.  Too bad he reads this blog and my plan is foiled.  Damnit!  Yes, it is seriously that good.  Ok I'll stop obsessing and just tell you how you can be as delighted as we...

What you need:
2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into ¼ to ½-inch cubes
2 cups yellow onion, large dice
1 ½ cups carrots, cut into ¼ to ½-inch cubes
1 ½ cups zucchini, cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt
1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
¼ teaspoon ground cumin (I used ⅛ this time bc I'm not crazy about cumin)
½ teaspoon saffron threads (I don't keep this in stock and have never missed it)
1 ½ cups whole wheat couscous (I don't use plain, not whole wheat)
2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped

What you do:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the squash, onion, carrots, and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron, and salt to taste.
Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl, and add the couscous.
Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve.





Source: The Kind Diet, Alicia Silverstone

No comments:

Post a Comment